Thursday, November 14, 2013

A to Z of Me

You may recall the Dungarvan Zombie Survival Plan that I designed for the second Brief Exchange show a while back. I posted it here, where regular readers said nice things about it and then I carried on writing silly Sweet Valley High posts, sort of forgetting about it. A few months later it went viral after being posted on Reddit, as is the way with things these days, which led to a lesson in watermarking, after seeing my uncredited work reblogged all over Tumblr and pinned all over Pinterest and popping up on Imgur, most of the time with credit to mindhaxx, whoever the fuck that is.

Anyway. There's been a third Brief Exchange show and the results have been scattered around Cork city in outdoor advertising spaces since the start of the month, to coincide with Design Week.The posters are all on the Brief Exchange website too and well worth a look, as there's some really bloody great design work going on over there.

So the brief I received for this incarnation of Brief Exchange was:

"Design a poster for something that you’d like to see on your daily route."

Which I must admit, left me stumped for quite some time. Eventually one night while lying in bed, I started mentally listing things I liked, in an effort to come up with an idea for the poster and ended up enjoying my list so much that I decided to make an A-Z of my favourite stuff.

So this is what I came up with (now with my blog name in place, not because I expect it to get anything like the reaction that the Surviving Dungarvan one did, just because I learned the hard way that posting your work online means it can go for quite a wander with no name tag):

Clickedy-click to enlarge

For a while there it looked like it was going to be a list of awesome female characters, which might actually be a fun project for another time, but for this particular alphabet I wanted a mix of things, plus I really wanted Z to be for Zombies BECAUSE I CAN'T HELP MYSELF. In fact, all three posters I've done for Brief Exchange so far have involved zombies. I might have a problem.

So these are a few of the cool lady characters that did make the cut:

I also managed to sneak another favourite lady in, via my love of a certain SNES game.

Aaand these are just two of the letter graphics that I particularly liked:

So it turns out that my favourite things are, by and large, fictional characters and specific types of food that are really bad for me.

I'm fine with that.

Also, can anyone name all the things in my list?

(Edit: Yes. Because Aislinn is deadly.)

5 comments :

  1. Tanora. Excellent choice. It is sweet, sweet nectar of the gods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In other news, I have finally gotten all 26 of these things. I think!
    Animaniacs
    Bacon Fries,
    Catwoman
    Dalek
    Elf
    Jessica Fletcher
    Gizmo (or Gremlins?)
    Harry Potter
    Inigo Montoya
    Jem (& the Holograms)
    Krispy Kremes (mmmmm, most delicious doughnuts)
    Princess Leia
    Michael Jackson
    NES
    Oscar the Grouch
    Pinkie Pie
    Queen Cersei
    Rubberbandits
    Street Fighter
    Tanora
    Ursula
    Velma
    Watchmen
    X-Men
    Yoshi aaaaannnnd
    Zombies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got stuck on S and Y but otherwise, i got them! This is all kinds of awesome, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe! Also, that just means that you were probably out climbing trees and stuff as a kid instead of playing videogames. :)

      Delete

Hey hot stuff! If you leave a comment I'll give you a present.

Maybe.

 
>