Friday, June 14, 2013

Ill Communication

A few weeks ago, my awesome friend Trace Dogg got married to his lovely girlfriend. In the run-up to the wedding, I had an idea for a card that I could make for him, and got VERY excited about it. You see, Trace Dogg is a huge Beastie Boys fan (his Root Down rendition is a thing of beauty) and I had the perfect line from a Beasties song that would totally work for a Happy Wedding Day card.

"I’m a newlywed, not a divorcĂ© / And everything I do is funky like Lee Dorsey".

I hadn't ever really noticed the line before (it's from Sure Shot), until I saw someone point it out in the comments in an excellent 7 Reasons To Love the Beastie Boys article that Anna Carey wrote for The Anti Room about two years ago. I thought it was a cool line and filed it away in my brain with random bits of songs that I know, along with the Animaniacs Nations of the World song. I can get as far as Guam.

Anyway, Trace Dogg + wedding + Beastie Boys = Sure Shot.

Obviously.

So I made this:


I was pretty pleased with myself. Especially when I could see him knowing exactly what the reference was before he'd finished reading it. It was also a fun way of finding out who else at the wedding was a Beasties fan, as for the most part the card was met with polite puzzlement, but Trace Dogg liked it and that's all that mattered.

And because it's fucking tune and a half, here it is. Mimed by Muppets!


Turn that motherfucker up.

4 comments :

  1. Ahhh that's bloody brilliant! I love little personalised and in-joke things like that, you are officially the best wedding-card-maker ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely personalised touch!
    PS: Love your nail varnish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's weakling brilliant! I really like little customized and in-joke factors like that, you are formally the best wedding-card-maker ever.
    rs gold
    WOW Gold Kaufen
    cheap blade soul gold

    ReplyDelete

Hey hot stuff! If you leave a comment I'll give you a present.

Maybe.

 
>