Friday, January 20, 2012

Crabapple Sauce

It appears that I have a new girl crush. Although this one is also an art crush, which multiplies things considerably. Molly Crabapple is a New York illustrator, fine artist and total badass. She created the alternative drawing salon Dr. Sketchy's Anti Art School, an inspired mash-up of cabaret performances and life drawing which has gone worldwide (including Dublin - I really need to get to one of these nights, quick smart) and her work has appeared in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and Marvel comics.

She's also a great big ride.

Her style of illustration is like a great big whimsical Victoriana steampunk sandwich filled with French Rococo decadence, intricate curls, smirking lips, creeping tentacles, corseted waists and stripey stockings. It's beautiful, breathtaking, saucy and smart. I want to eat it.


It's just outstandingly gorgeous. All of it. Just when I thought I couldn't love her work any more, I came upon portraits she has done of four of my favourite women of all time, three of which were part of her Saints and Sinners project (where she sketched 66 notorious figures from history).

SWOON ALERT

Look! It's Tura Satana, Luisa Casati, Lola Montez and Kiki de Montparnasse! ALL of whom I've written about at some point or other. I got very excited when I saw these. There's also an amazing sketch series of the Faces of Occupy Wall Street on her site. Everything on it is worth checking out, in fact. It's all solid gold.

There are even Molly Crabapple iPhone covers, with these two being my favourites. I think I'd be too terrified to actually use them though (if I ever got my hands on one), for fear that it'd get as scratched and chipped as my current Hello Kitty one. I'd be too afraid to ever get drunk in case I dropped it. The horror!


She's seven kinds of deadly. I've become such a fangirl. New favourite lady.

All images from mollycrabapple.com

3 comments :

  1. Oooh, i'm liking this Dr Sketchy's thang. Gonna suggest it to my friends! New things to do, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kit Cat - It looks deadly doesn't it? I'm mad to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out & link. I just came across this when I was checking our own analytics.

    Do come along to our next event, it's 31st March at 3pm in 4 Dame Lane. More info can be found here: http://www.drsketchysdublin.com/?page_id=26

    Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete

Hey hot stuff! If you leave a comment I'll give you a present.

Maybe.

 
>