Sunday, March 27, 2011

Thunderstruck

Years ago, when I was only small, I remember queuing up to get my face painted and when asked what I wanted to be, I answered "Cheetara". The face painter in question hadn't the faintest idea what I was talking about and my seven year old self must not have been much good at explaining the concept of Thundercats. I'm fairly certain I ended up with my face painted like a tiger. When I was in college I screenprinted the Thundercats logo onto a tshirt for myself and got excited when I found a Cheetara action figure in a Kinsale junk shop. Because that's how cool I am. (By cool I obviously mean a giant nerd.)

As it happens, Thundercats are making their way back to small screens later this year. The new show features a redesigned Cheetara and a much younger and somewhat anime-looking group overall.



I think I like the look of this new version, although I'm a bit torn, as the orange leotard is more or less synonymous with the character at this stage.


Granted, original cartoon Cheetara's hair was veering ever so slightly towards Mulletville, but her badass blue eyeshadow and orange markings were tremendously cool.


The eighties comic book version more or less ditched the "business at the front, party at the back" hairdid and became rather less orange as a whole.


The franchise got a reboot in 2002 with a new series, and Cheetara was drawn as quite the amped-up ride, all massive rack and deadly boots. The 2011 incarnation of my second-favourite cat lady is quite manga-ish in style which I'm not entirely sure about, and since I saw someone online describe her new look and shaggy blonde mane as something akin to Ke$ha, I can't quite shake the idea.



The bastards.

6 comments :

  1. Take comfort in the fact that New Cheetara probably washes more often than Ke$ha. And more than likely doesn't brush her teeth with a bottle of Jack. I don't think she implied anything other than Jack Daniels with that lyric. The more my mind wanders, I hope to any deity that she didn't.

    I don't really remember much of the 80s cartoons shown in the 90s period from my youth. Whether I actually watched them at all or I watched every single one and forgot (a total possibility), my mind is blkank when I try and recall Centurions, Visionaries, Gargoyles and Thundercats the way my marginally older friends seem to. Though Voltron is still pretty vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may or may not have rewatched a load of Thundercats recently.

    Anyway! Give me the real Cheetara any day of the week, this Ke$ha-alike is but a pale imitation of the original. And she kinda looks like she has a bad dose of pinkeye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Ruairi - To be honest, I don't really remember specifics, but Cheetara is ingrained in my memory as a childhood hero. And I'd wager she certainly washes more often then Ke$ha.

    @ Lynnie - Ahaha you're gas! And quite correct, actually. The more I think about it, the more I realise I much prefer the classic orange leotard version. I think I'm going to have to acquire some episodes and do a spot of rewatching myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I don't know much about Cheetara (transformers baby right here) but I do think it's a damn better update than that Wonderwoman monstrosity. Bleugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had actually never heard of Thundercats until about three weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Sarah - What were they thinking, with that biker jacket and PVC pants? Disastrous!

    @ Hermia - Way to make me feel old, ya wagon! I've decided you just had a deprived childhood, in order to console myself.

    ReplyDelete

Hey hot stuff! If you leave a comment I'll give you a present.

Maybe.

 
>