Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Bad Ass Pussycat


So apparently Quentin Tarantino is going to remake Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, a film that admittedly, until today I didn't know much about but I've loved the name of for a looong time. It's basically a loopy 1960s exploitation film about three mental hyper-sexy strippers who like nothing better than racing teeny sports cars in the desert and get all tangled up in a murder/kidnap/robbery plot. The leader of this psycho girl-gang is Varla, a scary-hot dominatrix with a massive rack and lesbian tendencies who kills a guy with her bare hands, kicking the whole thing off. It would appear that QT is signing up Britney Spears for the part. Fair enough I thought, I'd like Britney to make a big dirty comeback and if it's in a Tarantino film that will probably be done in the same sleazy fantastic vein as Grindhouse (which I still wish was released as an old school double feature) then so much the better.


BUT, during my Google attack on Faster Pussycat, I found out loads about the 60s Varla, a genuine badass called Tura Satana, who started off as a burlesque performer in the late 50s, and more or less co-created the character. This woman scares the bejaysus out of me. She's hardcore and no messin. She was born in Japan and and grew up in a WW2 internment camp, became a gang member in Chicago during which time she got handy with knives and switchblades and the like, Angelina eat yer heart out. When she was only nine she was gang raped on the way home from school, so her Dad taught her Karate to protect herself, and during the 15 years after that, she went all vigilante and actually tracked down the rapists and got her revenge. Talk about balls.

She was married at 13, became an underage model, toured America with some of the biggest burlesque stars of the 50s and 60s (she had a reputation for fighting with the other dancers if anyone fucked with her live performances), she got shot in the stomach by a crazy ex boyfriend and survived a horrible car crash that landed her in hospital for a few years. Between all that she also worked as a stuntwoman, nurse, police radio-operator and bodyguard and had flings with Frank Sinatra and Elvis. Why there hasn't been a film about her life yet, I really don't know. Apparently she's writing her autobiography so I suppose it's only a matter of time once it gets published. What an actual legend.

So anyway, my point is that if it's true about Britney being cast as Varla, she's got some mighty big stripper boots to fill.

K

5 comments :

  1. Sounds interesting. I wasn't a big fan of the Grindhouse movies - but admittedly I was very tired watching them and kept dozing in and out. I'll have to see it again.

    But Britney?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not sure if Brit is the right choice for this at all! Maybe as a secondary character but I don't think she could pull off the demented hard-ass leader thing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one word peeps, "crossroads"

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, they'd be better off making a film of her life. What a story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ conor: I know! She's my new hero!

    ReplyDelete

Hey hot stuff! If you leave a comment I'll give you a present.

Maybe.

 
>